2017-2018 Survey of Farm Operators and Owners in the New Jersey Central Region of the Delaware River Watershed
This report, Survey of Farm Operators and Owners in the New Jersey Central Region of the Delaware River Watershed, summarizes findings from a 2017-2018 survey of farm operators and owners in Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon Counties of New Jersey, within the Central region of the Delaware River Watershed.
The survey project was motivated by a number of questions, including:
- Are farm operators/owners taking advantage of opportunities to develop conservation plans and stewardship plans with government agencies and non-profit groups?
- Are farm operators/owners employing conservation farming practices, such as installing filter strips and sowing cover crops? If so, why, and if not, why not?
- Are farm operators/owners participating in conservation programs with government agencies or non-profit groups? If so, why, and if not, why not?
- Are farm operators/owners generally satisfied with their experience participating in conservation programs, and what kind of impact are these programs having?
- How much do farm operators/owners know about threats to water quality in the Delaware River Watershed? And how much do farm operators/owners know about efforts to
improve water quality in the region through the Delaware River Watershed Initiative?
- Overall, what are the major factors that farm operators/owners take into account when making farm management decisions?
Each of these research questions was explored through one or more survey questions, the findings from which are detailed in this report. On the survey, all questions asked respondents to comment on farm characteristics and practices in 2017, unless otherwise noted.
Recent Tools & Resouces
- Jersey Water Works Strategic Communications Recommendations and Message Platform
- Developing Lead Service Line Inventories Presented by the Association of State Drinking Water Administrators
- Handout: Water Infrastructure Drives New Jersey’s Economy
- Assessment of Eliminating Lead in Minnesota Drinking Water
- Policy Options: Promoting Affordability of Public Water and Sewer Service for Low-Income Households in New Jersey