2017-2018 Survey of Farm Operators and Owners in the New Jersey Central Region of the Delaware River Watershed
This report, Survey of Farm Operators and Owners in the New Jersey Central Region of the Delaware River Watershed, summarizes findings from a 2017-2018 survey of farm operators and owners in Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon Counties of New Jersey, within the Central region of the Delaware River Watershed.
The survey project was motivated by a number of questions, including:
- Are farm operators/owners taking advantage of opportunities to develop conservation plans and stewardship plans with government agencies and non-profit groups?
- Are farm operators/owners employing conservation farming practices, such as installing filter strips and sowing cover crops? If so, why, and if not, why not?
- Are farm operators/owners participating in conservation programs with government agencies or non-profit groups? If so, why, and if not, why not?
- Are farm operators/owners generally satisfied with their experience participating in conservation programs, and what kind of impact are these programs having?
- How much do farm operators/owners know about threats to water quality in the Delaware River Watershed? And how much do farm operators/owners know about efforts to
improve water quality in the region through the Delaware River Watershed Initiative?
- Overall, what are the major factors that farm operators/owners take into account when making farm management decisions?
Each of these research questions was explored through one or more survey questions, the findings from which are detailed in this report. On the survey, all questions asked respondents to comment on farm characteristics and practices in 2017, unless otherwise noted.
Recent Tools & Resouces
- Rates could fund lead pipe replacement in critical states: Laws in states with the most lead service lines support the practice
- State Policymakers’ Toolkit
- Fact Sheet for Press Kits: New Jersey Water Infrastructure
- Results from 2019 Value of Water Index: American Support for Investments in Water Infrastructure
- Fact Sheet: Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)